Snappy Grains Beef Barley Soup
- 8 oz sirloin steak, trimmed and cut into bite-size pieces
- ½ tsp freshly ground pepper, divided
- 4 tsps extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large stalk celery, sliced
- 1 large carrot, sliced
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
- ¾ cup Snappy Grains
- 4 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 cup water
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1-2 tsp red-wine vinegar
1. Sprinkle steak with ¼ teaspoon pepper. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the steak and cook, stirring often, until browned on all sides, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
2. Add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil, onion and celery to the pot and cook, stirring, until beginning to soften, about 2 minutes. Add carrot and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes more. Add tomato paste and thyme and cook, stirring, until the vegetables are coated with the tomato paste and are beginning to brown, 1 to 2 minutes.
3. Add Snappy Grains, broth, water, salt and the remaining ¼ teaspoon of pepper, bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer; cook until the barley is tender, about 15 minutes. Return the beef and any accumulated juice to the pot and heat through, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in vinegar to taste.