Snappy Grains Chili
- 1 tbsp canola or olive oil
- 1 onion, fine chopped
- 1 tbsp chili powder*
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander, opt.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeño, seeded, chopped
- ½ cup mushrooms, sliced
- 14 oz. red kidney beans** drained
- 5.5 oz. tomato paste
- 19 oz diced tomatoes, tinned
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1½ tsp Worcestershire sauce
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 3 cups beef stock or broth
- 6 oz dark or amber beer
- 1½ cup Snappy Grains
- 1 lime, juiced
- Sour cream, guacamole, onion, cheese for garnish.
- *May adjust amount of amount and type of chili powder depending on personal taste
- **Chili style beans recommended
- Note: If substituting small cubed beef, the cooking time will be approximately 3 hours. Other meats may be used, such as turkey or pork, or you may make an all bean chili.
1. In a large saucepan, heat oil and sauté onions for about two minutes. Add the chili powder, cumin and coriander and sweat 1 minute.
2. Add beef, garlic, jalapeño, and mushrooms. When meat is cooked, remove most of the fat.
3. Transfer to slow cooker; add beans, tomato paste, diced tomatoes, red pepper, chili powder, Worcestershire sauce, stock and beer, if desired.
4. In the last half of cooking time, add Snappy Grains.
5. Cooking time 1 to 3 hours (tastes better cooked longer).
6. Finish with lime juice.
7. Serve with sour cream, guacamole, diced onion and shredded cheese.