Snappy Grains Risotto with Asparagus and Peas
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 pinch of saffron strands, optional
- 2 tsp medium curry powder
- 1¾ cups Snappy Grains
- 1⁄3 cup dry white wine
- 2½ cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 tsp salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- ¼ cup butter
- 8 oz (225 g) asparagus, trimmed, cut into short sections
- 2 oz stock
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1⁄3 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese or asiago plus more for grating on top
- 1⁄3 cup whipping cream
- ½ lemon, zested
1.In a Dutch oven, heat the olive oil, add the onions and gently sauté until translucent. Add the curry powder and saffron thread, if using. Stir until fragrant.
2. Add Snappy Grains and stir to combine thoroughly. Add the white wine, stock, salt and pepper and stir until most of the stock is absorbed. Cover and keep warm.
3. In a frying pan, melt the butter and gently stew the asparagus pieces with the stock. After 4 minutes add the peas and heat until hot. Stir in the whipping cream, lemon zest and the cheese. Fold this mixture into the cooked barley. Serve with additional grated cheese.
Hint: For more tender Snappy Grains add slightly more stock. Barley will continue to absorb liquid.